Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Is the Internet taking away from the essence of Hip-Hop?

We all know the internet is taking away album sales and all of that but is it taking away another element of Hip-Hop, which is the element of the radio and videos. Think back to before the internet became a staple in even the poorest American household. Remember sitting next to your radio waiting to press record or watching Video Music Box or Yo MTV raps waiting with that fresh VHS to tape your favorite video. I know I don't remember but I remember watching my sister tape stuff and I even began in the period right before the internet became poppin. With the invention of file sharing programs in the early turn of the millennium and now with sites like youtube you don't have to record your favorite songs. It takes away from the essence of the song. Now you can hear it whenever you feel like it, thus making the radio and channels like BET or MTV2 irrelevant. The last time I listened to the radio I was in utter disgust. I heard the same songs twice an hour and like the music video shows, it was heavily southern dominated. The only time I consider listening to the radio is when I'm in a car, or when there is a mixshow on like Mr. Cee's Old school at noon. These once popular mediums are pretty wack to me and people with similar taste in music. The only people who watch these shows are teeny boopers who want to pop lock and drop. In the world of music in general, TV and radio are obsolete and theres probably no coming back for them.

No comments: